Monday, April 27, 2015

Manga_Week 10


I had been a big fan of manga/anime sense I was very young. Back then of course, I believed that it was a superior medium from cartoons/comics from the west. Of course, I now see how foolish I was but because of this I have been so submerged into the medium, It is difficult for me to talk about it with a set of new eyes. But for this assignment I read Osamu Tezuka’s Buddha (or the first volume of it.) I had not read any of Tezuka’s work, only watched the anime that it influenced. For this it had many of the same qualities that Anime has, with deep symbolic meanings, and characters that have to figure out why life is life.
A cool thing about Manga is that the western audience is growing rapidly thanks to the internet and acceptance of the material. Many comics, and cartoons are now influenced by anime, making many references to it and making cartoons deeper than previously done.

No comments:

Post a Comment