Monday, April 27, 2015

SterioTypes in comics_Week 8


I’m a female. After school I’m going to be working in the game industry. I have been immersed in games my whole life, with a recent addiction to any and all comic books. (thanks to the new comic class) I believe that a huge stereotype that I saw in almost every comic, from old newspaper to new indie web comics is the ‘beautiful women’ default character body type.
Almost every character that might appear in a game, a comic, and even an animated movie all have the same figure. An hourglass, man’s dream women type of figure with large breast and revealing clothing. Instead of have the extremely wide difference of body types and facial differences, the reader is forced to vaguely tell which girl is which by their hair color.
I think this stereotype is the stupidest thing I had ever seen. Women makes up more than half of video game players, and comic book readers. When people market to men and only men, they are excluding the female audience.
I had recently watched all of the Feministfrequency videos, and although they were wonderfully made videos, every related video was people complaining about what was being said. About how she was talking shit about video games, and acted as if video games were the most holy of mediums and no harm could be done by them. Even girls were not watching it and understanding that these tropes are tropes for a reason. And although I don’t agree with everything, I do agree with so much of what she says, it isn’t hard to listen to what she has to say.
I think it’s entirely possible to like something, while critically analyzing it and understanding what they are doing wrong and what they are doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment